St Marks Cathedral Church
The St Marks Anglican Cathedral was consecrated in 1850 and is considered to be the smallest cathedral in South Africa.
One of its most interesting features is the number of stained glass windows in relations to its size.
In 1911 King George V presented a Royal Prayer Book and Bible to the Cathedral.
The Cathedral is the seat of the Bishop of George who presides over the widespread Diocese of George which extends from Swellendam in the West to Plettenberg Bay in the East and inland to Ladysmith, Beaufort West and Graaff Reinet.
The Cathedral Parish is blessed with a beautiful stone building designed by Sophie Gray, wife of the first Bishop of Cape Town, and dates back to the year 1849 when the corner stone was laid.
The church was consecrated by Bishop Gray on 7th December 1850.
Guided tours every weekday from 10h00 - 13h00
On the corner of York and Cathedral Street
Phone: +27 44 873 3239